Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Overture of Traveling Mercies

Well, I'm still a little peeved because no one has posted since my last post, but oh well.

I have some thoughts about Traveling Mercies thus far that I want to share with you all.

First, I really am enjoying this book, but in a totally different way than Eat, Pray, Love. I was a little concerned that we were reading another memoir, but this has SUCH a different feel from EPL that I'm not worried at all. I'm so glad Julie chose this book.

Secondly, while I sincerely enjoy the book so far, I am having a bit of trouble identifying with Anne Lamott. I mean, holy cow, how many bad things can you have happen in your life before 30?? She has definitely experienced it all. I, on the other hand, have admittedly lived a very sheltered life. I can't really say that I've done any of the things Anne L. has done, and I definitely haven't experienced all of the incredible pain she has experienced. This is not to say that I haven't had bad things happen to me, but nothing like what her.

Thirdly, this book has some absolutely beautiful and breathtaking moments. I find myself constantly underlining and commenting every where. I wanted to share two particular quotes that just take my breath away quite literally:

"I guess it's like discovering you're on the shelf of a pawnshop, dusty and forgotten and maybe not worth very much. But Jesus comes in and tells the pawnbroker, 'I'll take her place on the shelf. Let her go outside again."

"But the church smelled wonderful, like the air had nourishment in it, or like it was composed of these people's exhalations, of warmth and faith and peace."

Wow.

So, tell me, what do YOU think so far?

No comments:

Post a Comment