Saturday, April 3, 2010

My Final Thoughts

Well, I guess no one wants to post her final thoughts about Eat, Pray, Love, so I will.

I must confess that I am not totally done with the book. March was a little bit crazy with family in town, but I am working through it. I will definitely read Traveling Mercies by the time April ends.

I have mixed feelings about Eat, Pray, Love. From strictly a writing perspective, I love it. I find Elizabeth Gilbert to be incredibly relatable, funny, down-to-earth, honest, and genuine. Her writing makes me feel like I am talking to her. Perhaps not talking to her, but that I am privy to her innermost thoughts, like a life-long friend. I really enjoy that.

Memoirs happen to be my favorite genre to read, so that was also a big plus for me, and part of why I chose this book.

However, I feel frustrated a lot of the time reading the book. Her religious ideas and even her basic ideas of life itself are so close to Truth, yet so far away. It breaks my heart. It is a reminder to me though, that until Jesus truly reveals Himself to her, she'll never fully understand. She will continue to search and meditate to no avail. So I pray for her. I know that sounds silly, but she is a real person, and this is her real story. So I pray.

Overall, I am glad that I am reading and will eventually complete this book. And I do plan on reading Committed, basically because I want to keep up with her. I want to know how Elizabeth Gilbert's story turns out.

So please post. I want to know what you thought. And the only way this really works as a book club is if everyone contributes and posts.

Also, start posting about Traveling Mercies. Knowing Anne Lamott her writing will definitely cause you to think.

No comments:

Post a Comment