Saturday, April 24, 2010

I Don't Want It To End!

I am nearly done with Traveling Mercies, and I love it. What a great book Julie chose! Thanks again Julie!

I like this book for numerous reasons. The two main reasons are that she is so normal, and that she is able to put words to things that I can't always express.

One chapter in particular that I loved was "Forgiveness". I know that I, like many women, struggle with comparing myself to others. I love how the whole time Anne Lamott is relating these various interactions with the mom of her son's friend, she is the one who is actually doing the comparing. The thing is, I never caught on to that fact either until Anne pointed it out. I know that I'm so very much the same. I think that someone is judging me, when in reality, I'm the one judging. Or even allowing myself to be judged. It's not fair to that other person, and it's not healthy at all.

I also really loved the chapter "Why I Make Sam Go to Church". I know that my parents always made us go to church, and I loved how Anne Lamott expressed her feelings about why she makes her son go to church. I also, like Sam, always loved church, even if I griped about going. And looking back, I'm so glad my parents made us go. It should be a great place of community, which is in essence the reason that Anne makes Sam go.

Overall, I really love this book. I'll finish it this week, which is convenient since it is the last week of April! And this will be a book that I will always love and cherish.

So, Joanna, we're all excited to find out our book for May!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment