Saturday, April 17, 2010

My First Thought on Traveling Mercies

Well, I have been avidly following the posts on here and commenting occasionally. I am suffering from First Year Teacher Syndrome. I don't have time to do much of anything that doesn't involve school. I just now finished the India portion of EPL and am finally past the Overture of Traveling Mercies. Here are some thoughts so far on Traveling Mercies:

The overture was a tough read for me. Like Johanna mentioned earlier, I have nothing in common experience-wise with this woman. She has some interesting thoughts on faith and it does me good to hear about some non-Bible-Belt Christian thinking. While reading today I came across a quote that really made me think:

"Maybe it's because music is about as physical as it gets: your essential rhythm is your heartbeat; your essential sound, the breath. We're walking temples of noise, and when you add tender hearts to the mix, it somehow lets us meet in places we couldn't get to any other way."

I'm not sure I could have made it this far this year without music. I have cried to Steven Curtis Chapman's "Beauty Will Rise" cd on my way to work more times than I can count. It reminds me that out of the ashes of hardship God can (and will) make beauty rise. Robbie Seay Band's song "All I Want" has reminded me that with all the junk going on, and all the stress, and all the tired, all I need is Him.

So somehow music has let me get to places I couldn't get to any other way. How about you?

1 comment:

  1. Joanna, I totally agree understand the first year teacher syndrome!! You are doing great, and probably a lot better than you think- and it will get easier. I promise.

    And music... I don't even know where to start!! I almost put that same quote on my post- I think it's so beautiful and insightful. I know music helps put words sometimes to how I feel when nothing else can quite do that.

    Thanks for posting. And you get to pick next month's book, so get thinking! :)

    ReplyDelete