Sunday, May 30, 2010

Thoughts on The Help

Oh man oh man oh man!!! I just finished The Help. I read it all in basically 2 days. I could not put it down!! I loved it so much.

I don't want to talk to much about the specifics of the book because I don't want to give anything away. But I will say that I was very surprised about some of the characters. I didn't expect a lot of their traits. This, of course, made me love the book even more. So if you haven't read it yet, GO DO IT!!

This book definitely has me thinking about my own prejudices. Obviously I don't consider myself a racist, but neither does Miss Hilly, and she clearly is. Reading books like this one always make me stop and consider, what humans am I somehow belittling or make less human through my speech, actions, and even thoughts? It's a difficult question to really ask yourself and come up with any honest answers.

Of course, I initially become defensive. I answer with no one. I'm an open-minded person, there's no way I'm ostracizing anyone. But we all know this isn't the truthful answer. There are most certainly people I consider less than myself.

So, I want to make an effort to consider all people as equal to myself no matter what. I want to watch my speech and thoughts; that I'm not even accidentally minimizing anyone's existence.

I want to know- if you have finished or are finishing The Help, what did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment