Sunday, March 7, 2010

Thoughts So Far

Confession: I just started reading our book today. I know, I know, I should have started it awhile ago, seeing as I already owned it, and have been wanting to read it, but I've been reading other children's books for school. So I haven't gotten too far, but I wanted to share a few thoughts on what I've read thus far.

I'm really glad I read the introduction, because I liked the explanation of how the book is structured. If you know me at all, I LOVE structure. I thrive on structure. I have small panic attacks when things are unstructured, and therefore, knowing that this book is founded on this awesome principle of structure, I can sleep a little bit easier tonight.

I also thought her comments about how our spiritual journeys are structured was also interesting. She said, "Sincere spiritual investigation is, and always has been, an endeavor of methodical discipline." I am intrigued by that statement, and as I thought more about it, I believe she is absolutely right. People who say they are looking for Truth, and for spirituality, but are haphazard and not all that concerned with any sort of investigation whatsoever, are really not that interested at all in finding Truth or spirituality. However, how often do those of us who are Christ-followers (I myself included in that group), try to make out the Gospel and Christianity as this "do whatever feels right, there is no structure here" belief system? True seekers are searching for the Truth with "methodical discipline", and I believe that unless we have a disciplined, structured system to offer, these seekers will definitely be unimpressed, and probably seek out other belief systems. I'm not saying that we should become this ultra-traditional, legalistic religious cult, but rather, embrace what makes Christianity and the Gospel the Truth.

I don't know if that makes sense at all- it does in my head. I'm very interested to know all of your thoughts so far. Please feel free to post! And post often.

No comments:

Post a Comment