Wednesday, September 8, 2010

You Know a Book is Good When....

right after you finish you want to turn right back to page one and reread it just so it doesn't have to be over.

I just got around to reading The Help (Kathryn Stockett). I loved it. I have this problem with books that the characters suck me in and in some crazy fiction realm they become my friends. This book was no exception. The author describes such detail that I felt like I was watching a movie instead of reading a book.

Not only did I find it enjoyable in that I-can't-put-it-down kind of way, but it inspired me to do a better job of just loving people. I think I'm ok at it but I think that is part of my personality that I don't give a lot of effort to. I feel inspired to love people, if this makes any sense at all, in a sturdier, quieter, deep in my character kind of way. That's what Aibileen, Minny, and Skeeter taught me.

Read it and meet my friends. And if you have read it, read it again just to spend time with some inspiring friends.

2 comments:

  1. Carrie, I just had a conversation about The Help with two of my relatives from Mansfield, both graduates of Ohio State in the 70s during the civil rights movement and college riots, and both retired public school educators. They said the book was "fascinating" and that I "had to read it." They promised to get it to me in the coming weeks. I look forward to being "sucked in" as you put it.
    Keep up the good reading, relevant blogging, and, of course, the great living!

    ReplyDelete
  2. KD, You can blog on here too if you want! Just send me your email!

    ReplyDelete